Birmingham Burn Injury Attorney
A fire or explosion can cause serious damage to a person, including burns. Severe burns are catastrophic injuries that often result in many damages. Not only may they require lifelong treatment and high medical costs, but they can cause extensive physical scarring and disfigurement. This can lead to many emotional damages and affect one’s self-confidence. The effects from a burn can last many years or even the rest of a person’s life. If you or a loved one has been affected, seek legal help from a Birmingham burn injury attorney who specializes in explosion and workplace injuries.
Types of Burns
There are four different types of burn injuries based on the severity of damage:
- First-degree. This is the most frequent type of burn and also the least serious. This type of burn occurs when a person is sunburned or touches a heated dish. It can cause pain, inflammation, and blisters.
- Second-degree. A second-degree burn can cause damage to both the outer layer and inner layer of skin causing greater damage and pain. It can be caused by chemicals, scalding hot water, and stoves. The skin may turn red and develop blisters and the pain can be intense.
- Third-degree. Third-degree burns destroy the outer and inner layers of the skin. The skin can scar and become infected. The appearance may be white or yellow.
- Fourth-degree. This is the most severe type of burn. It can cause damage to tendons, muscles, and bones. It can also lead to death.
Severe burns can cause serious complications, so it is important to seek medical help right away.
Causes of Burn Injuries
Burns can be caused by fires and chemical exposure in a variety of environments, such as the following:
- House fires. Faulty wiring, broken smoke detectors, and defective kitchen equipment can cause a home to catch fire. So can cooking equipment and appliances, as well as poor cooking techniques and grease from food.
- Car accidents. Vehicles can catch fire if they are involved in an accident or suffer a mechanical failure. If a person is trapped inside, they can quickly burn.
- Workplace accidents. Burn injuries at a jobsite can be caused by toxic chemicals and explosions.
- Defective products. When a product is defective, it can explode and cause burns and other severe injuries. Some common defective products include home appliances, children’s toys, clothing, beauty products, and heating pads.
- Furniture and mattresses. These items can sometimes be susceptible to fires, depending on their material. These fires can quickly spread throughout a house.
Contact a Birmingham Burn Injury Attorney Today
Burn injuries may require extensive treatment. This can be a costly undertaking, but you don’t have to necessarily take it all on yourself. If your injury was caused by a third party, make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
Count on the Birmingham personal injury lawyers at Goldasich, Vick & Fulk to determine liability and help you get the compensation you need to aid with recovery. To schedule a free consultation, call (205) 731-2566.