Birmingham Commercial & Business Litigation Attorney
When an individual sues a company or vice versa, the lawsuit typically falls under commercial litigation. This is an area of law that involves a partnership or a corporation and encompasses disputes in the business context. While commercial litigation is similar to other types of litigation, commercial law tends to deal with more specific types of matters.
Don’t handle these matters on your own. Seek legal help from a Birmingham commercial & business litigation attorney who understands the complexities of commercial law.
Examples of Commercial Litigation
Commercial litigation can come about in many forms. Here are some common categories of cases:
- Antitrust cases
- Bad faith cases
- Business torts
- Construction cases
- Debtor or creditor actions
- Fraud actions
- Intellectual property (IP)
- Tax disputes
- Trade secret lawsuits
- Unfair competition actions
These are some of the more common types of commercial lawsuits:
- Breach of contract lawsuits. When there is a contract between two parties, both parties need to uphold their ends of the contract. If either party fails to do so, the result is a breach of contract suit. The victim can file a lawsuit against the other party and recover damages.
- Product liability claims. Manufacturers have a duty to create products that are safe for normal use. When a person is harmed by a defective product, they can file a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturer and recover compensation for damages.
- Consumer class action lawsuits. Class action lawsuits involve multiple people who have been harmed by the same manufacturer or device. These are typically product liability cases but they can also be privacy breaches and other violations.
- Employment lawsuits. These types of lawsuits are growing in popularity due to new laws favoring workers’ rights. Lawsuits may include sexual harassment, wage and hour laws, discrimination, wrongful termination, and workers’ compensation.
How is Commercial Litigation Different?
The primary difference between a commercial lawsuit and a typical civil lawsuit is the parties involved. Civil lawsuits tend to be between individuals, which makes things easier. When businesses are involved, the issues are more specialized and complex.
Another difference is where the lawsuits are filed. Business lawsuits are not always filed in state court. They may be filed in federal courts or, as is the case with class action lawsuits, multiple districts.
Another key difference is that commercial litigation is often more expensive. This is because there are more steps to the process. The discovery process in particular tends to be more extensive, since forensic experts are required.
Contact a Birmingham Commercial & Business Litigation Lawyer Today
Business litigation can be complex. If a business is involved in your lawsuit, you can expect the legal process to be different. You need someone who is experienced with filing business claims.
The Birmingham lawyers at Goldasich, Vick & Fulk can help you with this type of lawsuit. If you are suing a business, we can help you get a favorable outcome. To schedule a free consultation, call our office at (205) 731-2566.