Birmingham Construction Accidents Attorney
Construction is one of the most dangerous industries, and it’s pretty clear why. Heavy equipment, heights, electrocution, debris, and heavy materials can all create hazardous conditions, especially when safety measures aren’t followed. Construction workers can easily get injured or even killed while on the job. If you have suffered injuries from an industrial or construction accident, you may wonder what legal options you have. Contact a Birmingham construction accident attorney for help obtaining the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Construction Accidents
Construction accidents can occur in many ways, including the following:
- Falls. This is the most common construction accident. Construction workers often work while on ladders and rooftops, making them prone to falls.
- Electrocutions. Workers are at risk of electrocution due to exposed wires, downed power lines, and unfinished electrical systems.
- Machinery accidents. There is a lot of dangerous machinery on job sites. Cranes, bulldozers, jackhammers, drills, and nail guns are just some of the tools and machines that can cause serious injuries if not used properly.
- Getting hit by a vehicle. Car accidents are common for construction workers when performing road work. They may get hit by distracted drivers.
- Slips and falls. Construction sites often have slippery surfaces due to debris, tools, and materials. Workers can slip, trip, or fall.
- Explosions. Gas leaks and electrical wires can cause fires and explosions.
- Getting trapped. It is not uncommon for workers to get caught in between machinery, walls, and materials. This can cause broken bones and even death.
- Trench or ground collapses. Construction workers often have to create trenches to connect pipes to building sites. This can cause the ground and surrounding areas to become unsteady and a worker could fall. In some cases, workers are buried in these trenches.
- Heat stroke. Construction workers are also susceptible to heat stroke, as they tend to work long hours in the heat and humidity. This can cause them to become dehydrated, which can lead to fainting and heat stroke.
Can I File a Lawsuit?
If you have been seriously injured in a construction accident, you may wonder about your legal rights. You may think that workers’ compensation benefits are your only option.
The truth is that workers’ compensation benefits do not cover much in terms of damages. These benefits are meant to pay a portion of your wages if you are primarily at fault. When your employer’s negligence causes you to suffer a workplace injury, you may be able to file a lawsuit and obtain compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
A personal injury lawyer can assess your situation and see what options you have. They can hold your employer liable for your injuries, if applicable, and help you with financial recovery.
Contact a Birmingham Personal Injury Attorney Today
Construction accidents happen quite often, but that doesn’t make them minor occurrences. Many result in serious injury and even death.
If you are a victim, make sure you get the compensation you deserve. Let the Birmingham personal injury lawyers at Goldasich, Vick & Fulk assess your situation and advise you of your legal options. Schedule a free consultation today by calling (205) 731-2566.