Birmingham Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
A spinal cord injury can be a debilitating injury. Any part of the spinal cord, including spinal vertebrae, discs, and nerves, can become broken in an accident, causing lifelong effects. If you have suffered a spinal cord injury, you may require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation. This can be costly, so make sure you have the compensation you need to pay for all your expenses. Contact a Birmingham spinal cord injury attorney to learn more about how we can help with physical and financial recovery.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can happen in various ways, including:
- Car accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Sports accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Assaults and other acts of violence
- Diseases such as cancer
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
There are two main types of spinal cord injuries: complete and incomplete. The difference is primarily based on the severity of the injury and the person’s ability to function. When a person has a complete spinal cord injury, they are fully unable to function below the point of injury. Those with incomplete spinal cord injuries, on the other hand, tend to have some sort of sensation or function below the injury.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Diagnosing a spinal cord injury may include X-rays, CT scans, and MRIs at first. After the initial swelling goes down, your doctor will perform more comprehensive exams to gauge the degree of injury you have. This may include a neurological exam as well as muscle tests and sensory tests.
While there’s no way to reverse damage to a spinal cord, there are ways to manage it. Some treatment options include:
- Immobilization. Traction can help stabilize your spine and bring it into proper alignment. A rigid neck collar or a special bed may be used.
- Surgery. Surgery can help remove anything that is compressing the spine, such as bone fragments, herniated discs, and foreign objects. Surgery can also help stabilize the spine.
- Experimental treatments. There may be experimental treatments to control inflammation and regenerate nerves. Ask your doctor what’s available in your situation.
Recovering Compensation for Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury can lead to extensive and costly damages. It is not uncommon for such an injury to require hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars for medical treatment. Contact a Birmingham personal injury lawyer to seek help obtaining compensation for the following:
- Lost wages
- Medical bills (hospitalization, surgeries, etc.)
- Medical equipment
- Home nursing or attendant care
- Home or vehicle modifications
- Psychological counseling
- Vocational training
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Contact a Birmingham Spinal Cord Injury Attorney Today
Any type of damage to the spinal cord can result in lifelong effects. Severe spinal cord injuries can affect the entire body. By determining who caused your injury, you can obtain justice and compensation.
Spinal cord injuries can potentially cost millions of dollars. The Birmingham personal injury lawyers at Goldasich, Vick & Fulk can help you file a claim so you can get the compensation you deserve. Schedule a free consultation today by calling our office at (205) 731-2566.